Trial continued again for man accused in Warren County police shootout

The Warren County trial for a man charged with multiple felonies for allegedly trying to kill police officers in an August 2020 shootout has been continued again.

Officer Dennis Jordan of the Middletown Division of Police and Christopher J. Hubbard were shot shortly before 5 p.m. Aug. 31, 2020, after a pursuit that began in the area of 18th Avenue in Middletown and ended in the 2600 block of Mason-Montgomery Road in Turtlecreek Twp.

Hubbard, 37, was indicted Dec. 21, 2020 by a Warren County grand jury for attempted murder and felonious assault for allegedly shooting Jordan; attempted aggravated murder and felonious assault for allegedly shooting at Butler County Sheriff’s deputy Mike Barger; and attempted aggravated murder and felonious assault for allegedly shooting at Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper Brett Lee. The charges also contain gun specifications that add to a sentence if Hubbard is found guilty.

Hubbard was found competent to stand trial last year and his trial was scheduled to begin Oct. 25 in Warren County Common Pleas Judge Tim Tepe’s courtroom, but was continued to April 4 at the request of the defense.

On March 2, defense attorney Daniel Getty filed another motion to continue the trial, stating their expert needs more time to prepare. Getty said the preparation was delayed by illness, weather and technology.

The trial will be delayed until early summer, according to court officials. But a new date has not yet been set.

An investigation by the Ohio Bureau of Investigation indicated Hubbard shot first, striking Jordan, and that eight officers returned fire. Hubbard was hit between 10 and 13 times. Video evidence made the sequence of events clear, according to prosecutors.

Hubbard, who was sent back in prison shortly after the incident, is now being held on $1 million bond in the Warren County Jail. In June he requested a bond reduction, but it was denied.

Jordan was shot in the arm, finger and right leg. He was released from the hospital a day later and returned to duty.

About the Author