1 shot at rest stop on I-71 rest stop; suspect dead

UPDATE @ 8:40 p.m.

A man is in critical condition after he was shot several times this morning at an Interstate 71 rest stop, and the shooter has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Ohio State Highway Patrol reports.

The victim and suspect were standing outside near the victim’s vehicle around 11 a.m. when the suspect fired several shots and then fled. Troopers and Delaware County Sheriff’s deputies found the suspect’s vehicle, when a pursuit began. The pursuit ended after the suspect’s vehicle drove over road spikes and crashed into a guardrail on I-71 in Richland County.

Troopers surrounded the vehicle, but it was later discovered the suspect had died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. His name was not released pending notification of family.

Troopers also did not release the victim’s name. The incident remains under investigation.

All roads have reopened.

UPDATE @ 4:25 p.m.

Interstate 71 is open to traffic just north of Columbus near the rest stop where one person was shot, but the highway remains shut down further north in Richland County where the pursuit of the suspected shooter ended, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol Columbus Post.

One person was shot at the rest stop late this morning in Delaware County, just north of Columbus, and one lane is now open on the northbound side after all lanes were shut down to accommodate the investigation, according to the patrol.

The patrol reports the suspected shooter fled north on I-71 and there was a pursuit that ended in the Mansfield area in Richland County.

The patrol reports I-71 is closed in both directions at the scene of the crash site.

Download our free apps to get news and weather updates on your mobile devices.


We’re working to learn more about a reported shooting in Delaware County that has forced the Ohio State Highway Patrol to shut down part of I-71.

Several media outlets are reporting that a person was shot at a rest stop along I-71 North in Delaware County. The suspect reportedly fled the scene and has not been apprehended.