911 caller in Monroe homicide: ‘She’s dead, she’s cold. There is a lot of blood’

Bonds of $1 million were set Thursday for a Mason man and a Trenton man charged with aggravated murder for allegedly killing a woman in Monroe.

Jordan James Lay, 22, and Nicholas Alan Mattox, 23, were booked into the Butler County Jail on Wednesday following their arrests, Monroe police said. Lay was booked just after 1 p.m. and Mattox four hours later at 5:42 p.m. Jail records indicated they were taken in to custody at the Monroe Police Department on Main Street.

MORE: Middletown police looking for robbery suspects 

According to court records, police say Lay confessed to killing Amy Risner on Tuesday. Mattox did “purposely cause the death” of the 32-year-old, according to the complaint signed by Detective Aaron Ledford.

Lay, of Mason-Montgomery Road in Mason, and Mattox, of Edgewood Drive in Trenton, were video arraigned Thursday morning by Magistrate Fred Miller, who set the bond for each. They are scheduled for preliminary hearings in Butler County Area II Court on Wednesday.

Police were called shortly before 4 p.m. Tuesday on a report of an unresponsive person in the 100 block of Anne Road in Monroe. Risner was pronounced dead at the scene, and her death was ruled a homicide Wednesday by the Butler County Coroner’s Office. The cause of death is listed by the coroner’s office as “pending.”

A distraught male called 911 telling dispatchers he had just gotten out of jail and found “Amy” dead in the house.

MORE: Trial delayed for teen charged in fatal Hamilton shooting

“She is dead, she overdosed … Oh my God,” the man told dispatchers

The caller said he believed the woman overdosed on heroin.

“She’s dead, she’s cold. There is a lot of blood,” the man said. “There is blood everywhere, ma’am, and there’s needles. She is dead.”

Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser met with investigators Thursday afternoon and declined comment on the specifics of the case, other than to say investigators believe there are no other suspects.

“There is no longer any danger that there are one or more killers on the loose in Monroe,” Gmoser said.

He said the case will be presented to a grand jury soon.

MORE: Funeral services set for Hamilton man who died in bus crash

About the Author