Luke Kennard reflects on his NBA Draft experience

Stolen Luke Kennard sign returned anonymously

The city erected the signs in 2017 after Kennard, who was Ohio Mr. Basketball in 2014 and 2015 while at Franklin High School, announced his intentions to enter the NBA draft.

MORE: Thefts force Franklin to take down Luke Kennard “Mr. Basketball” signs

But soon after, two of the five signs were stolen: one from the corner of River and Main streets and another located along North Dixie Highway.

City officials opted to take the other signs down to prevent thefts as they determined a better way to secure them.

Franklin has re-posted three of the Luke Kennard Ohio Mr. Basketball signs in the city. Last year, city officials took down the signs after two were stolen.
Photo: ED RICHTER/STAFF

About one month ago, one of the pilfered signs was anonymously dropped off at the Franklin City Building, according to City Manager Sonny Lewis. He said he does not know who dropped it off or why that person returned it.

“I guess someone was trying to be a good citizen,” he said.

WATCH: Luke Kennard announces new basketball camp

In the past few months, the city has re-posted the signs recognizing Kennard, who is now a shooting guard for the Detroit Pistons, as the state’s best high school basketball player two years running.

The signs cost $155 each, according to the city.

Last month, Premier Health, Kennard and Win The Next One announced a partnership to present the Luke Kennard Overnight Basketball camp.

The camp will be held July 20-22 at Camp Chautauqua in Miamisburg, and is open to boys and girls entering grades four through seven in the 2018-2019 school year.

Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.