When paramedics arrived, a friend of the man already was performing CPR, the Daily Echo reported. The friend, who also was not identified, told Harrison that the victim had jokingly placed a fish he had just caught over his mouth. The Dover sole then wiggled free and fell into the man’s mouth and blocked his windpipe, the Daily Echo reported.
The man’s heart had already stopped, so paramedics continued CPR.
Extracting the fish was difficult because its barbs and gills were getting stuck in the man’s throat, the Daily Echo reported.
After six attempts, paramedics succeeded. The man was taken to a hospital and was able to respond to questions, the Daily Echo reported, adding that he has made a full recovery.