Witness: SUV driver erratic before crashing into gas pump

An SUV smashed into a Seattle gas station. Police are investigating what happened leading up to the crash.

Combined ShapeCaption
An SUV smashed into a Seattle gas station. Police are investigating what happened leading up to the crash.

A man who witnessed the driver of the SUV before the crash that ended with a gas pump exploding in flames, says the driver should never have been behind the wheel.

Before the SUV hit the gas pump, it slammed into a Honda, splitting it in half. Harborview announced on Wednesday the 35-year-old driver died from his injuries.

>> Read more trending news

Ralph Allen said he was on Crown Hill on Monday night where 15th Avenue NW turns into Holman Road when the SUV drove by, weaving into the next lane and speeding.

Allen came forward about the incident because he wants investigators to know it wasn't just a quick accident.

"I want whoever is investigating this to understand there was quite a bit more length to this event. It didn't just happen at the point of the accident, it started up here," said Allen.

He said the driver was so erratic he warned his daughter-in-law in the passenger seat.

"That guy is going to be in some trouble. We're either going to see him off the side of the road or he's going to kill somebody the way he's driving, " said Allen.

From where Allen says he saw the black SUV speeding, to the gas station crash is .7 miles.

The driver of the black SUV was working for Uber and had a passenger in the back. Police say she was treated for minor injuries.

The driver, a 60-year-old man from Gig Harbor, was not injured. KIRO 7 went to his home to see if he wanted to talk about the crash, but a relative said he was too shaken.

Investigators gave the driver a field sobriety test.

He was not arrested. They did a blood draw at the hospital and are waiting for the results, which is standard in an accident where someone is severely injured or killed.

What Allen witnessed before the accident could change the case from an accident investigation to a vehicular homicide investigation. He reached out to Seattle police and is waiting for a detective to call him back.

The family of the 35-year-old man, who was driving the Honda and died from his injuries, has asked for privacy.

Uber issued a statement, "Our hearts and thoughts go out to all those involved in this terrible accident, and the driver has been removed from the app. We will work with Seattle police to assist in their investigation.

Seattle police say the investigation could take months.

About the Author