Cigarette butts to blame for house fire in Madison Twp.

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
Madison Twp. Deputy Fire Chief David Runnells said discharged cigarette butts were to blame for a house fire this morning in the 900 block of Middletown-Eaton Road/Ohio 122.

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

UPDATE @ 12:15 p.m.:

Madison Twp. Deputy Fire Chief David Runnells said discharged cigarette butts were to blame for a house fire this morning in the 900 block of Middletown-Eaton Road/Ohio 122.

There were no injuries to the residents or firefighters, he said, adding that the house suffered minimal smoke damage.

He said there were numerous cigarettes butts found in a large ashtray in the basement of the residence. It is believed those cigarette butts started smoking and led to the fire.

Firefighters from Madison Twp., Franklin Twp., and Trenton responded.

Firefighters and the Butler County Sheriff’s Office cleared the scene at 11:45 a.m.

UPDATE @ 11:40 a.m.:

No flames are showing at the scene of a house fire in Madison Twp.

Firefighters and Butler County sheriff’s deputies remain on the scene of the home in the 900 block of Middletown-Eaton Road.

INITIAL REPORT:

Emergency units are at the scene of a house fire in Madison Twp.

Mutual aid has been requested for Madison Twp. firefighters to a residence in the 900 block of Middletown-Eaton Road, according to dispatchers.

Occupants of the home got out safely, according to dispatchers.

We have a crew at the scene working to bring you more information.

Download the free Journal-News app for breaking news alerts

About the Author