Chief: Massive fire at Fairfield complex caused by unattended cooking


A massive fire Friday afternoon that displaced dozens of residents and destroyed an apartment building at the Villages of Wildwood was sparked by food left cooking on the stove.

In addition to 44 Fairfield firefighters, multiple crews from other departments responded to the quickly spreading fire reported around 3 p.m. in the 80 block of Brittany Lane, Fairfield Fire Chief Don Bennett told our news partner, WCPO-TV in Cincinnati.

It took more than three hours to contain the blaze, and crews expected to stay for much of the night, he said. As the fire spread, crews struggled to have enough water to battle the fire, according to emergency dispatch traffic.

One person was taken to a local hospital, complaining of shortness of breath, but no other injuries were reported.

Bennett said the fire was sparked by a resident who left her apartment with food still cooking on the stove. It had turned into a small fire by the time she came back, and within a few more minutes it became a large one with at least 10 units in the building affected, WCPO reported.

Aerial video of the fire supplied by our news partner WCPO shows a massive amount of smoke pouring up from multiple buildings.

The American Red Cross was providing assistance to those displaced, including some who may have been surprised to learn of the blaze.

“I have to assume there’s people coming  home from work right now that had no idea there was a fire in their residence,” Bennett told WCPO.


About the Author