Hearing continued for man charged in fatal crash

A preliminary hearing scheduled for a Cincinnati man charged with aggravated vehicular homicide in a crash last week on Interstate 75 that killed a Middletown motorcyclist was continued today.

Anthony Dwuan Howard, 35, was charged on Oct. 22, hours after the crash in West Chester Twp. At his court appearance today in Butler County Area III Court, Judge Dan Haughey said more evidence may be forthcoming that the defense deserves. The case was continued until Nov. 6.

Howard’s attorney Herb Haas declined comment

ExploreMORE: Driver charged with aggravated vehicular homicide follow fatal motorcycle crash

Howard is being held in the Butler County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bond. Howard also is wanted for an unrelated crime in Springdale in Hamilton County, online jail records show.

Investigators said they believe Howard was driving impaired at the time of the crash, around 3:40 a.m., on southbound I-75 in West Chester Twp. Lt. Clint Arnold said alcohol was a factor in the crash and other impairments are being tested. Howard also was charged with OVI, according to court documents.

Motorcyclist Timothy Sharp, 51, was pronounced dead at the scene. He died from multiple traumatic injuries and his death was ruled an accident, according to the Butler County Coroner’s Office. He was not wearing a helmet, Arnold said.

A 2008 Toyota Acura, driven by Howard, and a 2014 Harley Davidson motorcycle, ridden by Sharp, were traveling southbound on I-75, the post said. Preliminary investigation shows the car rear-ended the motorcycle. Howard was not injured as a result of the crash.

ExploreMORE: 7 cold cases from the Miami Valley that will leave you shocked

Sharp worked at Steelcraft in Blue Ash and often stayed with his girlfriend in Middletown, according to family members. He was heading to work at the time of the accident, his family said.

The crash slowed the southbound lanes of I-75 for much of the morning, according to the state patrol. Hours after the crash, the far left lane re-opened, but the traffic back-up lasted for miles, the patrol said. Traffic traveling north was also backed up at the Union Centre Boulevard exit with emergency vehicles staged at that location.

About the Author