Death of Warren County 2-month-old still under investigation

Cayden Colwell SUBMITTED

Combined ShapeCaption
Cayden Colwell SUBMITTED

Clearcreek Twp. police are continuing to investigate the death of an infant who was found unresponsive in a Warren County home last week.

Cayden Colwell, 2 months old, died on Sunday after being taken off life support at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, according to Clearcreek Twp. Chief John Terrill. The circumstances surrounding the child’s death are considered suspicious, he said.

MORE: Middletown woman sentenced after turning a severly ematiated dog into animal rescue

On Tuesday, Terrill said detectives are meeting with prosecutors, and doctors are awaiting the results of an autopsy performed at the Hamilton County Coroner’s Office. A spokesperson at that office said the autopsy was performed Monday and results are not yet completed.

The baby was in the care of his biological father when medics and police were called to the residence on Ohio 123 at about 2:05 p.m., according to Terrill. The baby was transported to Atrium Medical Center, then taken by medical helicopter to the Cincinnati hospital.

Sgt. Curtis Hensley said in his report that when he arrived, the baby’s father, Cody Colwell, was being escorted out of the residence by emergency personnel.

MORE: ‘Flying Bank Robber’ arrested 60 years ago after crime spree that included Hamilton

“(Cody) Colwell was extremely distraught, and it was apparent that he was not able to drive due to his emotional condition,” Hensley said.

Hensley transported the father to the Middletown hospital where the baby boy had already been taken.

At the hospital, Cody Colwell said he had noticed Cayden not breathing when he went to change his diaper and “began breathing for him,” according to the report. The report states CPR was performed at the residence before the medic units arrived.

Terrill declined to elaborate further on the investigation, but he said detectives are awaiting autopsy results and would be meeting with the Warren County Prosecutor’s Office.

The family has established a GoFundMe account that says Colwell suffered a severe head injury.

About the Author