The PNC Bank at 5262 Kings Mills Road, near its intersection with SR 741 in Warren County was robbed at approximately 2:15 p.m. Mason Police said no one was injured and they are searching for the suspect pictured leaving the bank’s lobby.(File photo/Journal-News)
Photo: Staff Writer
Photo: Staff Writer

Couple arrested for assault after Mason middle school volleyball match

Gerald Gertz, Jr., 38, and Sarah Hatfield, 38, of Cincinnati, were initially charged with misdemeanors after Raymond Phipps, 43, of Lebanon was beaten. But the charges were increased after prosecutors were advised of the severity of Phipps’ injuries.

MORE: Police: Father was doing ‘donuts’ before truck crashed in Fairfield pond in fatal incident 

The incident at St. Susanna School on Reading Road happened at about 9:44 p.m., according to the police report.

When officers arrived, they found Phipps “beaten badly” and in need of medical attention.

Phipps said he was in a verbal argument with another parent at the girls middle school volleyball game and left.

“While on the phone, he was attacked from behind and thrown to the ground. Gerald Gertz Jr. began punching and kicking him in the head and face,” the police report said about Phipps’ account. “While he was on the ground being attacked he stated he saw a woman standing over him kicking and stomping on his face. The female was later identified by witnesses as Sarah Hatfield.”

MORE: Victim ID’d in fatal Fairfield Twp. fire over the weekend

According to the report, Gertz left the scene before officers arrived and Hatfield and her child were left behind.

Phipps was transported to an area hospital for treatment.

Hatfield was placed in the back of a cruiser. That is when Gertz made a series of calls to the officer. After several calls back and fourth to police, Gertz agreed to turn himself in.

“During our conversation, he (Gertz) stated what was he supposed to do when someone points their finger at him and tells him to (expletive) off,” the officer wrote in the report.

Phipps’ wife told police she called 911 after hearing her husband screaming and making noises while on the phone. She said she saw Gertz and Hatfield outside assaulting her husband.

Another witness saw Phipps leave the building after the argument and Gertz following close behind, with Hatfield behind Gertz. The witness exited the building after hearing screaming and found Phipps beaten and bleeding.

Gertz and Hatfield are both free on $5,000 bond and are scheduled to be in Mason Municipal Court next Tuesday for a preliminary hearing.

MORE: What they said: Brooke Skylar Richardson’s parents break silence in ‘48 Hours’ interview

Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.