A gas leak with fire forced the evacuation of a section of Lafayette Avenue Wednesday, Oct. 2 in Middletown. Middletown police and fire departments evacuated the area and a bus was brought in get residents out of the area until it was safe to return to their homes. Duke Energy was able to shut off the gas around 11:30 a.m. NICK GRAHAM/STAFF

Middletown gas leak fire causes evacuations: Who will pay for the repairs?

Sally Thelen, a Duke Energy spokeswoman, said in an email that “the leak was caused by someone working on the curbs in the area, and their piece of cutting equipment came into contact with the Duke Energy gas line, causing fire.”

Thelen said investigators will determine who will be responsible for the cost of repair.

MORE: Middletown area evacuated for gas leak involving fire

“In typical situations, we would bill whoever damages our facilities, however in this case, that would be premature to say until a report is completed,” she said.

City spokeswoman Shelby Quinlivan said the active gas leak was identified about 9:45 a.m. Wednesday in the 900 block of Lafayette Avenue. First responders evacuated nearby homes as a precaution. Duke Energy was called in to turn off the gas line in the area.

The fire was put out about 11:30 a.m., and residents returned to their homes.

Jessica Stamey, who lives in the 900 block of Lafayette Avenue, said she woke up and saw messages on social media about the incident.

She came outside with only her niece and her purse and was taken to a bus for evacuation. Stamey, who has lived there for about a year, said her two sons were already at school.

Stamey said crews have been working on streets for the past two weeks as part of city’s curb, gutter and sidewalk program.

MORE: Suspects charged after shot fired at Middletown business

Another Lafayette Avenue resident, Deloris Brandenburg, said she was asked to leave her home about 10:15 a.m. but was not told for more than 30 minutes that there was a gas leak on the street. The burning gas leak was close to her home.

Brandenburg, who has lived at her home in the 900 block of Lafayette Avenue since 1964, said this has never happened before. As she sat on a city bus, Brandenburg said, “I’m ready to go home.”

Middletown medics gave her a front-seat ride in their ambulance and two firefighters helped her up the steps and into her home after the incident.

Quinlivan said said crews from Vandalia-based R.B. Jurgens Contractors Inc. have been working on Lafayette Avenue for more than a month as part of the city’s nearly $2.06 million annual sidewalks, curbs and gutters program.

She said underground utilities such as gas services, water services and phone lines can be damaged but fires are uncommon. Typically the utility company is contacted and repairs are made immediately as required, Quinlivan said.

Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X