Fairfield police body camera videos detail morning of fatal stabbing, shooting

Fairfield police body camera videos released Monday of a woman stabbed to death by a man that police shot in the act confirm what Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser and Fairfield Police Chief Steve Maynard said happened in the early morning hours of June 22.

MORE: Family objects, but judge OKs release of Fairfield officer’s body camera video

The videos were made public Monday after a motion for a temporary restraining order to stop their release by the family of the stabbing victim, Michelle R. Henry, was denied by a Butler County judge.

Both body camera videos, which contain very graphic content, were watched in full by this news outlet.

Video from the cameras worn by Officer Bryan Carnes and Sgt. Aaron Meyer show the duo arriving at the townhouse in the 1500 block of Gelhot Drive at 5:59 a.m. June 22 for a reported domestic dispute.

After hearing yells for help from inside the home, Carnes uses a ram to break in the front door.

MORE: Off-duty deputy saves choking girl at movie theater

After Carnes and Meyer make their way up the stairs of the townhouse, yelling “police,” blood is visible on the walls.

Carnes, a three-year veteran of the force, breaks in the door to a bathroom as Henry screams, the videos show.

In the bathroom mirror, Logan A. Williamson can be seen coming down with one final swing of a knife before Carnes fires two shots, striking the 37-year-old man, who died at the scene.

Carnes then pulls Henry, who was stabbed 53 times, according to a police report, partially out of the bathroom and away from the slumped body of Williamson.

MORE: Police receiving tips, have leads in fatal Middletown shooting

Officers are seen in the video trying to keep Henry talking until paramedics arrive. The 37-year-old Henry later died at Mercy Hospital-Fairfield.

On July 3, Gmoser announced that a Butler County grand jury declined to indict Carnes, who fired the fatal shots.

During that announcement, Gmoser said, “Total clarity was established by the body camera worn by the officer under review and confirms the decision of the grand jury that no criminal charge is warranted or suggested concerning the conduct of the office.”

About the Author