Oxford cab driver who assaulted Miami students previously convicted for ‘lurking’ outside home

An Oxford cab driver was sentenced to five years in prison Thursday after pleading guilty to sexual battery involving two Miami University students.

W. Sherman Jackson II, 38, the owner and operator of Sherman’s Safe Ride, was charged with assaulting the women in his cab in early December. He was originally charged with three counts of rape and three counts of sexual battery, but took a plea deal in May.

Jackson had faced a total of 10 years in prison.

MORE: Oxford cab driver pleads guilty to sex charges

During sentencing, Jackson was also declared a Tier III sexual offender meaning he must register his address with the sheriff’s office every 90 days for the rest of his life after he is released from prison.

Before sentencing, Butler County Common Pleas Judge Keith Spaeth said he had received “multiple letters of support for Jackson” as well as victim impact statements.

Jackson declined to speak in court before being sentenced.

Christopher Pagan, Jackson’s attorney, said his client was “very nervous” and told the judge he has a limited criminal background, has accepted responsibility for his actions, and has the support of his family.

“It is a terrible, terrible lapse of behavior in a short period of time … unusual behavior for him,” said Pagan, who added that Jackson was sorry for his actions.

MORE: Butler County schools respond to Secret Service security report 

Assistant Butler County Prosecutor Kelly Heile told the judge that while Jackson’s past criminal background involved only misdemeanors, a 2012 conviction for criminal trespassing involved Jackson “lurking” outside a home in Oxford.

Two women, both 21-year-old Miami University students, filed separate reports on Dec. 8 and 9 saying Jackson sexually assaulting them in his vehicle, according to Oxford police.

The first victim called 911 at about 12:35 a.m. Dec. 8 from West Collins Street and reported she had been assaulted, according to the police report.

The second incident was reported by a woman who said she was assaulted between 1:30 and 4 a.m. Dec. 9 on Brown Road, according to the report.

The first woman called 911 three times, once screaming, “Let me out, let me out” and then hanging up.

The victims did not speak Thursday in court during Jackson’s sentencing.

“What happened to these young girls, I hope and pray they get past it,” Spaeth said before handing down the sentence. “This is why when adults send their kids away to go to school, to go out into the world, you tell them you have to be in a position to protect themselves. This defendant took advantage of these girls in this situation in a terrible, terrible way.”

About the Author