In the letter, Culley told Bristow that Ohio State officials would be in touch by the end of this week on a final decision. Besides releasing the letter, an Ohio State spokesman said officials have declined to comment further at this time.
RELATED: White nationalist threatens to sue Ohio State, UC if they don’t let him speak
A representative for Spencer had originally requested rental space for the white supremacist to speak at Ohio State between Oct. 12 and Oct. 26. Ohio State cited safety concerns in its original denial of the request, issued last month.
Bristow had also threatened to file a lawsuit against the University of Cincinnati but on Friday, UC president Neville Pinto sent out a campus-wide email stating that Spencer would be allowed to visit.
“As a state institution, we must adhere to the foundational rights embedded in the First Amendment. That includes protecting speech of all types at all times—even, perhaps especially, words that are blatantly hateful or offensive,” Pinto wrote. “After all, we cannot silence those with whom we disagree without opening the doors to our own voices being silenced by those who disagree with us.”
Spencer is also known as having been one of the organizers of August’s “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville that descended into violence.
He has been denied requests for space to speak at Penn State University, the University of Florida and at Michigan State University. After Michigan State denied Spencer’s speaking request, his event organizer filed a lawsuit against the school in United States District Court
FIVE FAST READS
• What were those loud booms heard from Wright Patt Air Force Base?
• UD Marriott drops lawsuit against Wright State for canceled rooms
• JCPenney to hire 1,600 Ohio workers for holiday jobs on the spot today
Ohio colleges see increase in reports of rape and sexual assaults
• Kroger planning big changes for hundreds of stores