MIDDLETOWN — The first of five free Family Movies in the Park will be this Friday at Sunset Park.
Besides free movies shown on a 33-foot screen, there will be family friendly activities and the city is partnering with local groups who will be provide free popcorn, candy and drinks, said Jeri Lewis, the city’s coordinator of events and special projects.
She said this is the eighth year for the movie series, and with the city’s support, it keeps getting “better and better.”
Lewis understands that people can watch movies at home, but gathering with family and friends outside is a different experience.
“When you come out as a community, it builds into families, into our kids, into our community,” she said.
For the first time this year, a food truck will be on site selling food, she said.
Here is a list of the movies that start at dusk:
- Date: Friday. Place: Sunset Park. Movie: Goonies. Food truck: Cheese The Day.
- Date: June 16. Place: Douglass Park. Movie: Princess & the Frog. Food truck: Wheels Fresh.
- Date: June 30. Place: Smith Park. Movie: Top Gun Maverick. Food truck: BL BBQ.
- Date: July 14. Place: Downtown. Movie: Soul. Food truck: Luchey’s Kitchen.
- Date: July 28. Place: Sunset Park. Movie: Sonic 2. Food truck: .Tacos Colima.
The city’s inaugural Farmers Market kicks off from 3-7 p.m. June 14 in the Middletown Bus Transit depot parking lot and will be every Wednesday through Sept. 20.
Lewis said the parking lot is ideal because it’s large enough for the refrigerated trucks and is located near the MidPointe Library System and the foot traffic it generates.
Every week, a representative from a local restaurant will demonstrate farm to table dishes, Lewis said.
The market also will provide local residents an opportunity to purchase fresh meats, fruits and vegetables.
Every week, either a representative from the library or Butler County MetroParks will provide educational opportunities and interactive programs for kids.