Hollander did not think it was a big deal when his dog Nellie got into a package of mints. Thirty minutes later Nellie couldn’t even walk. "She tried walking over to me and she started stumbling and falling over,” stated Hollander. “I had to pick her up and she was shaking in my arms, I was terrified,” said Hollander. Immediately Nellie was taken to the veterinarian and was able to survive because of Hollander’s fast response.
Just one stick of gum with xylitol can be potentially lethal for a small dog as it causes a sudden drop in glucose and live failure. Other symptoms of xylitol poisoning include weakness, being wobbly on their feet and seizures. Veterinarians say even the smallest amount of exposure warrants a trip to the emergency room.