She said the building, which is more than 70 years old, “feels like it’s on its way to being in good shape.”
Maney said the new LED lighting and new thermostats as well as new HVAC systems will also help CBI be more energy efficient.
The facility serves more than 350 families, providing after-school and recreation programs, open gyms, hot meals for children in the evening, parenting resources, GED and ESL program assistance and job assistance.
PACE is an assessment program for infrastructure, capital improvements and repairs to repay the bonds.
Officials have described the PACE program as being similar to city sidewalk repair programs in which property owners can pay to repair their sidewalks before a set deadline or the city will make the repairs and assess the property owner, usually over five years through their property taxes. The city is only financing what is needed for the project.
Middletown approved the PACE program and the city’s Energy Special Improvement District in December 2017 to take advantage of these funding mechanisms to help spur development. As a demonstration project for city’s Economic Development Department to show prospects and existing businesses how the PACE process works. Middletown City Council approved the project was approved last June.
Officials estimated the five planned upgrades would cost about $390,000. That cost includes about $298,000 for construction and abut $90,000 in financing costs. The city would have 10 years, starting in 2020, to repay the assessments through the PACE program.
- Other than roof flashing, the competed projects:
- Converting remaining interior and exterior lighting to LED lighting and fixtures.
- Updating HVAC controls that include low-voltage programmable thermostats to allow night and weekend setback temperatures for the four furnace/AC units and a new thermostat to control electric resistance baseboard heating.
- Installing eight new LED parking lot lights with new poles.
- Correcting a drainage problem from the roof to facilitate storm flow away from the entry roof to landscaping or storm drain.
- Repairs to the roofing and gutters.