Hamilton bar suffers ‘horrendous’ smoke damage after fire, owner says

Hamilton firefighters remain on the scene of a reported fire this morning at Legends bar, 2104 Fairgrove Ave., in Hamilton.
Caption
Hamilton firefighters remain on the scene of a reported fire this morning at Legends bar, 2104 Fairgrove Ave., in Hamilton.

After the smoke cleared, Legends bar owner Crystal Hendrix’s eyes filled with tears.

“Nobody was hurt. That’s all that matters,” said a tearful Hendrix, who will be the owner of the Hamilton bar three years in September.

ExploreMORE: OVI checkpoint TONIGHT in Hamilton

Smoke was pouring out of all sides of the bar at 2104 Fairgrove Ave. on Friday morning  before firefighters from Hamilton and Fairfield Twp. were able to find the flames inside the building and quickly extinguish them.

At about 9:45 a.m., someone at a nearby convenience store told Hendrix, “I think your building’s on fire,” she said.

She walked outside, “and there was just smoke everywhere,” she said. “Smoke was coming out of every crack of the building.”

MORE: Hamilton’s fire department has a new $159K investment. Here’s what it will do for the community.

When the bar, located along Ohio 4, several blocks north of High Street  closed at 2:30 a.m., there were “no problems, no nothing,” she said.

“This was not part of our plan,” said Hendrix, who noted the bar had plans for an upcoming fundraiser to help feed the needy and homeless in Hamilton.

“They said that they busted all the ceilings down, the smoke damage is horrendous,” Hendrix said. “They haven’t told me where the fire was yet.”

MORE: Apartments for the homeless? That’s one idea to end tent living in Hamilton

As she spoke, watching firefighters put away their equipment, a loud fan cleared the air inside the building.

Caption
Firefighters at the scene.

Firefighters at the scene.
Caption
Firefighters at the scene.

Deputy Hamilton Fire Chief Jay Wirtz said when firefighters arrived, Hendrix told them nobody was inside. No flames were showing despite the heavy smoke, Wirtz said.

“We went in to try and find the fire — weren’t successful at first, but then on a second attempt, we went in and found it, knocked it down,” he said.

He added that the fire “was in the middle of the building somewhere,” perhaps in the kitchen.

No injuries were reported.

Wirtz estimated it took 20 minutes to snuff out the fire.

A damage estimate wasn’t immediately available.

About the Author