The marker was taken to the city garage for storage. However, the removal created controversy that led to heated meetings of Franklin City Council and Franklin Twp. that were packed with angry residents as well as various social and racial justice groups from around the region. Many city and township residents were angry about the marker’s removal.
City officials transferred the marker to Franklin Twp. after it was determined the marker was owned by the township. The marker was dedicated in 1927 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy which erected a number of markers to Robert E. Lee around the nation.
During the late-night removal, city crews scratched the bronze plaque. The city spent $2,000 to have the plaque refurbished, repaired and returned to the township.
After several months of discussions, township Trustee Brian Morris worked with the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The Fraternal Order of Eagles lodge agreed to host the relocated marker.
In June 2018, the marker was placed back on public display on private property in front of the Eagles lodge, 1075 N. Dixie Highway, which is inside the city limits. The marker is lit and monitored by a surveillance camera. A private rededication ceremony was held by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.