After weeks of spirited voting, Kings Island’s Halloween Haunt has been named the Best Theme Park Halloween Event in the country.
The USA Today 10 Best Readers’ Choice travel award was announced this afternoon. The park’s popular annual Halloween event includes indoor and outdoor haunted attractions, live shows and more than 20 rides including Mystic Timbers, The Beast, Banshee and Diamondback roller coasters.
>> Best Halloween events for grown-ups
>> Best Halloween events for kids
>> HAUNTED ATTRACTIONS: The best haunted houses, hayrides and trails in Southwest Ohio
This year, Halloween Haunt marks its 12th season with two new scare zones, a new indoor maze and new show.
MORE: Kings Island’s Halloween Haunt back with even more scares
Halloween Haunt is open for Friday and Saturday nights through Oct. 27 before the park closes for the season. Tickets are available online at visitkingsisland.com.
"The Kings Island coasters aren't the only things making park guests scream," USA Today 10Best wrote about the park. "Come September, the park's annual Halloween Haunt adds frightening mazes and live shows designed with one purpose: scare you just enough to haunt your dreams until next year's event comes 'round."
USA Today 10Best local experts teamed up to choose the 20 initial nominees, with the top 10 winners then determined by popular vote.
MORE: KINGS ISLAND: What to know and what to check out this season
The top 10 winners in the Best Theme Park Halloween Event category are as follows:
- Halloween Haunt at Kings Island - Mason, Ohio
- Halloween Haunt at Kings Dominion - Doswell, Va.
- Fright Fest at Six Flags Great America - Gurnee, Ill.
- Fright Fest at Six Flags Magic Mountain - Valencia, Calif.
- SCarowinds at Carowinds - Charlotte, N.C.
- The Haunted Graveyard at Lake Compounce - Bristol, Conn.
- Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Williamsburg, Va.
- Phantom Fright Nights at Kennywood - West Mifflin, Penn.
- HalloWeekends at Cedar Point - Sandusky, Ohio
- Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando - Orlando, Fla.