“Grease ignited can be very hot; we anticipate somewhat serious burns,” Bennett said.
He said it’s an unfortunate “accidental situation.”
Bennett said the residents had made efforts to put out the fire via a fire extinguisher, baking soda as well as carrying the pot of burning oil outside.
“I’ve never seen anyone successfully carry out a pot of burning oil,” Bennett said.
He added that the Beechtree Condos were compliant with the legal requirement of having a fire extinguisher nearby.
Apartment fire on Camelot Drive, Fairfield, March 15, 2018. ERIC SCHWARTZBERG/STAFF
UPDATE @ 9:44 p.m. THURSDAY
Fairfield fire Chief Don Bennett said a 2-year-old child was burned by grease in this apartment fire.
It happened while the residents were cooking and grease caught fire, Bennett said.
One resident attempted to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, while a second resident tried to get the cooking implement out of the apartment. Bennett said that’s when some grease dropped onto the child, causing burns.
The child was flown to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center for treatment.
Fairfield apartment fire on Camelot Drive, March 15, 2018. ERIC SCHWARTZBERG/STAFF
EARLIER REPORT, THURSDAY, MARCH 15
Fairfield firefighters are on scene of an apartment fire Thursday night.
Around 8:07 p.m., the Fairfield Fire Department was called to an apartment in the 5400 block of Camelot Drive.
Police: There was no threat to fly plane into Badin High School
Reports of heavy smoke showing were made. Emergency dispatchers said at 8:30 p.m. fire crews remained on scene.
There are reports of a possible infant injured and taken to Mercy Health - Fairfield Hospital. This news outlet is working to find out more on the extent of any injuries.