Daycare evacuated after smoke filled the building

Fire crews were dispatched this afternoon to Wilde Kingdom Early Learning Center after a bathroom exhaust fan shorted out and caught fire, according to Fairfield Fire Department Deputy Chief Tom Wagner.

FAIRFIELD NEWS: Fairfield High School marching band makes program history

Crews were dispatched to the early learning center at 6124 Ambassador Drive. No one was injured, Wagner said.

“It was producing a lot of smoke in the building,” he said.

The daycare’s policy called for the children and staff to rally at The Dip, the ice cream parlor at the corner of Gelhot and Ambassador drives.

Fire crews cleared the scene just before 4:25 p.m., Wagner said.

Wilde Kingdom officials said “everyone’s safe” and most children were picked up by parents or guardians at the ice cream parlor. They are now back inside the daycare waiting for the rest of the children to be picked up.

About the Author