Lindsay Partin, the Hanover Twp. woman accused of fatally assaulting a toddler in her care, entered a plea of not guilty to a murder charge on April 9.

Outbursts inside, outside courtroom as Butler County babysitter charged in toddler’s death makes appearance

Lindsay Partin, 36, of Hanover Twp. was indicted by a Butler County grand jury last month on new charges of murder, four counts of felony endangering children, and involuntary manslaughter after 3-year-old Hannah Wesche died.

Before the case was called, there was a clash of cursing and screaming outside the court between Partin’s family and family and supporters of the toddler. A defense attorney defused the incident.

Hannah Wesche, who was allegedly assaulted by her babysitter in Hanover Twp. on Thursday, March 8, 2018. CONTRIBUTED
Photo: Staff Writer

When Partin’s case was called, Jason Wesche, Hannah’s father, along with about 10 supporters entered the courtroom wearing bright blue T-shirts that read: “God’s Angel #forever3” referring to the girl and her age.  

Partin’s attorney, Melynda Cook Howard, entered a not guilty plea to all the new counts in the indictment.

MORE: Babysitter accused of assaulting toddler free on bond

As the hearing ended, an emotional member of the toddler’s supporters yelled, “A murderer just got out on bail!” and another shouted “Murderer!” at Partin as she walked away from the podium.  

On Monday, Judge Greg Stephens continued the $75,000 bond he originally set, noting that bond is to assure appearance in court, not a punishment. 

Partin has been free since her original charges of felonious assault and child endangering. 

Jason Wesche comments after hearing for woman accused of killing his daughter.

“I don’t know why a judge doesn’t want a bigger bond for a murder case. It just doesn’t make sense,”Jason Wesche told this news outlet after the hearing.

“I thought maybe something would change,” he said.

MORE: 911 call in alleged babysitter assault: “Hannah breathe. Breathe for Daddy”

Stephens also said he has set a number of restrictions on Partin through the probation department and she has been compliant.

Partin’s attorney declined comment after the hearing.

At about 7 a.m. March 8, Hanover Twp. emergency crews and Butler County sheriff’s deputies responded to Partin’s residence for an unconscious child. They found Hannah unresponsive with labored breathing, according to the sheriff’s office. There were also obvious bruises about her head and face.

MORE: Father of toddler allegedly assaulted by babysitter speaks out

Hannah was taken by medical helicopter to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. After further investigation, detectives and hospital personnel noted additional bruising on the child’s body.

Partin, who was Hannah’s babysitter, admitted to striking the child and stated the girl had fallen and struck her head on a concrete garage floor the previous day, according to police reports.

Partin is scheduled to be back in court May 7 for a pre-trial hearing.

Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.