The office may be closed, but SELF (Supports to Encourage Low-income Families) is still working to assist and support its Butler County residents in need of utility assistance.
Residents needing assistance can pick up an application at at SELF’s Hamilton office or download it online at www.selfhelps.org.
Completed applications and copies of required documents for the Winter Crisis Program or HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program) may be submitted in a variety of ways:
• Completed applications may be dropped off outside SELF’s Hamilton office, located at 1790 S. Erie Highway, Hamilton, 45011. There is a secure lock box located there.
• Applications may be mailed to SELF at: PO Box 1322, Hamilton, OH 45012.
• Email completed applications to email@example.com, or
• Fax completed applications to 513-737-3889
SELF’s Winter Crisis and Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a federally funded utility assistance program which helps qualifying Ohioans who are at or below 175 percent of the federal poverty guidelines, $45,850 annual income for a family of four, meet the high costs of home heating. The Winter Crisis program allows a one-time payment per winter season for regulated electric or gas utilities, non-regulated utilities, fuel oil or propane, and for wood to restore, maintain, or establish home heating service.
To receive help, Butler County residents must submit copies of the following documents along with their completed application:
• Photo identification and proof of citizenship for all household members.
• Proof of all household income for the last 30 days or 12 months.
• Social Security cards or legal documentation for all household members.
• Disconnect notice or current utility or bulk fuel bill (with less than 10 days’ supply) in household member’s name.
• Applicant must also bring both primary and electric heating bills (for example, if client uses gas and electric) regardless of account status.
• Proof of disability, if applicable.
• City of Hamilton utility customers or other unregulated utility customers must bring arrangement form and co-payment receipt.
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.