‪A suspect was shot dead following an officer-involved shooting Friday in Fairfield. The three police officers involved will be on administrative leave pending an Ohio BCI investigation.

911 calls, radio traffic provide details of fatal Fairfield officer-involved shooting

Tyler M. Jones, 24, was shot shortly before noon on Friday at the Timber Hollow Apartment Homes complex. The three officers involved were identified Friday as Craig Moore, Daniel Setterstrom and Edward Bausch. All are on administrative leave, although police have not said which fired shots or struck Jones.

“He basically told me I’m not getting any of my stuff back, and if I tried to come back he’s shooting,” she said in her 9:50 a.m. 911 call. “He told me I got to call the cops but he’s going to shoot at you guys. I don’t know what to do.”

READ MORE: Prosecutor: Fairfield officer-involved shooting will be sent to grand jury

The woman then came to the police department at 10:55 a.m. Friday to talk with an officer, according to police records released Monday. She asked officers to be “on standby” related to the domestic dispute.

Moore was dispatched to 9 S. Timber Hollow Drive at around 11:37 a.m. A couple of minutes later, Moore asked Setterstrom to contact him, and he subsequently requested dispatch to put him on the detail with Moore. At 11:50 a.m., Moore then asked for any other units. Bausch was across the street and responded.

Then he calls for a paramedic in his next transmission.

After calling for a paramedic to respond, the dispatcher asks Moore for a checkup.

“We’re OK. We just need some units at the scene, please,” he said.

The dispatcher then asks if the scene is safe for medics.

“Affirmative,” Moore said.

After coordination between police and medics, the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation was called several minutes after Moore called in the “shots fired” report.

Details of the shooting — including which officer, or officers, shot and killed Jones — will be released once the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations completes its investigation, police said. Police wouldn’t confirm how many of the officers discharged their weapons, but said one of them discharged a Taser. The department, however, wouldn’t confirm which officer discharged their Taser.

Police would only confirm that Bausch, Setterstrom and Moore responded to 9 S. Timber Hollow Drive for the domestic dispute report, and there was a confrontation between the officers and Jones when he arrived at the parking lot in the Timber Hollow Apartment Homes complex. Police said Jones produced a firearm during the confrontation, which led to him being shot dead.

Setterstrom has been with the department since November 2002. In April 2016, he was placed on a four-day suspension for violating the “truthfulness” section of the department’s general orders manual, according to his personnel file. Setterstrom’s statements to a superior officer about not serving a summons to a defendant “were clearly misleading and ultimately untruthful.” He was also verbally reprimanded for neglect of duty in June 2015 and received a written reprimand for being absent without leave in July 2015.

Moore has been with Fairfield since April 2014, and Bausch has been with the city since June 1999. Neither have received disciplinary actions.

Fairfield Police Chief Steve Maynard told the Journal-News “the officers, although shaken by the traumatic incident, are doing well.” None of the officers were injured.

Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser said it’s his office’s policy to take all officer-involved shootings, as well as self-defense cases, to a grand jury.

Gmoser said he expects to present the incident to a grand jury within the next couple of weeks.

Joseph Hopewell, a neighbor who lives in a neighboring apartment complex, told the Journal-News what he heard.

“[I]t was one shot. Pow. And then it was pow-pow-pow-pow-pow,” he said.

Hopewell said he heard a woman scream, then went outside and saw two police officers standing over a body, which he described as being an African-American man on the ground. “I knew he was dead before the ambulance got there,” he said. “I knew he was dead from the number of shots and how he was laid out.”

Nothing of this nature has happened in the seven years he’s lived in the quiet neighborhood, Hopewell said.

Reporter Eric Schwartzberg contributed to this story.

Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.