Major League Baseball reduced the overall number of minor league teams from 160 to 120. The Reds will no longer have short-season teams in Billings, Mont., and Greeneville, Tenn. The Billings Mustangs will continue to play in the Pioneer League, which will now be part of an independent professional MLB Partner League.
The licenses each of the 120 teams accepted offer the following benefits:
• “Player salary increases ranging from 38-72 percent for the 2021 season.”
• “Modernized facility standards better suited for professional athletes.”
• “Improved amenities and working conditions for players and staff.”
• Reduced in-season travel for players and coaches.”
• “Better geographical alignment.”