Resident calls site of fatal prom night accident ‘very dangerous’

Ron Rodgers has lived on Millikin Road for 30 years.

He has seen his share of accidents, but nothing could have prepared him for what he witnessed Friday night when he walked outside his home.

There were three Monroe High School students lying in the grass while paramedics extricated another student out of a “unrecognizable” car, he said.

MORE: Student involved in Monroe prom night crash dies

“Tragic,” Rodgers said. “Four students, just four kids.”

Then he thought about the road.

“More accidents are waiting to happen,” he said. “Here we go again.”

He called Millikin Road near Butler Warren Road “very dangerous.”

MORE: Report details driver’s actions, seat belt use in Monroe prom night car crash

He recalled another fatal accident in the area several years ago, and in the 30 years he has lived in his house, he said 10 of his mailboxes have been run over.

Rodgers said because there are no posted speed limit signs in the area, the legal speed limit is 55. He said the road has no shoulder, and after it was recently repaved, it has a two- to four-inch drop off near the edge. Even experienced motorists have trouble navigating the road, he said.

“A race car driver couldn’t recover if they drove off the edge of the road,” he said.

MORE: Passenger in fatal Monroe prom night crash: 'Don't take life for granted'

A Monroe High School student, who was driving three classmates to prom Friday night, veered her car off the right side of Millikin Road, over-corrected, then drove into a ditch before hitting a telephone pole, according to the accident report released Tuesday by the Butler County’s Sheriff’s Office.

Chynna Brandon, 17, was driving a 2013 Tesla when the accident occurred at 6:14 p.m. Friday, according to the report.

One backseat passenger in the car, Kaylie Jackson, 17, a senior at Monroe High School, died from her injuries on Monday afternoon, the district said. She was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the car, according to the accident report.

Brandon and two passengers — Tanner Allford, 17, and Mitchell Foster Jr., 18 — were treated at University of Cincinnati Medical Center, then released on Sunday.

Brandon was wearing her seat belt and she wasn’t ejected, according to the report.

Foster Jr., who was sitting in the front passenger seat, was also wearing a seat belt and he wasn’t ejected. He was extricated from the vehicle.

Allford, sitting behind the driver, was ejected, though it’s unknown whether or not he was wearing a seat belt, according to the report.

About the Author