Mother jailed after child found wandering on Preble County street — again

(UPDATE @ 5:45 p.m.): The mother Camden police arrested after her son was found in the middle of North Main Street, blocks from home, has been taken to the Preble County Jail and police plan to file formal charges in Eaton Municipal Court.

Part of the reason 23-year-old Teha Alizibeth Alexis Lambert was taken into custody from her home on North Main Street was because her son had gotten out of the house before — and was hit by a car in Eaton, Camden police said.

Preble County Children Services agents were at the residence Thursday to remove the boy and his younger sister.

“We don’t feel that this is a good environment for the child, it being a repeat offense,” Police Chief Matt Spurlock told News Center 7’s John Bedell.

The woman’s grandmother confirmed she was napping and her daughter was in the restroom when her grandson got out. The grandmother said the boy is autistic.

She said there are several safety measures in the home to protect both children.

“He’s so, so fast. He’s just ... he’s very fast and very determined and he wants to play outside,” the grandmother said.

Thursday evening, Lambert was still in jail, detained pending the filing of a formal misdemeanor child endangering charge. Bail has been set at $325.


A mother was arrested Thursday after her child was found wandering blocks from home on North Main Street, Camden Police Chief Matt Spurlock said.

Crews responded to the 6800 block after getting a call about a child wandering in the middle of the street. The child’s age and identity is not yet known.

A woman from a local business found the child and took them back to the house, but she couldn't get anyone to answer the door, Spurlock said.

>> Prison worker accused of discussing hit list involving corrections officer, weapons found

The mother, whose identity hasn’t been released, told officers she was in the bathroom when the child got out.

“This isn’t the first time that this happened,” Spurlock said. “The mother was placed under arrest and we’re waiting on children services to respond to the address here to see where we can get the child so they can be safe.”

Spurlock says a grandmother who was also there when the child got out won’t be charged, but the child can’t stay with her.

“We don’t feel that this is a good environment for the child. It being a repeat offense, today we’re gonna remove the child.”

About the Author