UPDATE @ 12:02 p.m.
A Middletown fire official said a house fire this morning in the 1600 block of Columbia Avenue probably started in a bedroom where an extension cord was plugged into the wall.
Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Spaulding said there was “nothing criminal” about the fire, though someone reportedly was seen on the porch after the fire started. He said that person may have been there checking on possible residents inside.
The four residents, one adult and three children, were not home when the fire was reported this morning, Spaulding said. He said the female was at work and the children were at school.
Spaulding said the fire caused about $75,000 to $80,000 in damages.
He said the American Red Cross was called to assist the family because the house was uninhabitable.
UPDATE @ 9 a.m.
The fire has been contained with no smoke or flames still showing, according to our reporter at the scene.
The incident has caused some damage, and crews remain on the scene.
Middletown emergency crews are responding to a house fire this morning.
The fire was reported at about 8:30 a.m. at 1604 Columbia Ave., according to Middletown dispatchers.
Flames were showing when crews arrived, but no other information was available.
We’ll update this story as we learn more.