All 11 countywide partisan officer holders — all of whom are Republican — spent some of their campaign finance funds during this off-year.
Here’s how much local office holders have in their war chests, according to campaign finance reports from the Butler County Board of Elections.
Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones
Jones, who hasn’t had a close race in four elections, leads the countywide officeholders with more than $255,000 cash on hand.
“My job is to crush my opposition. Without money, you can’t run a campaign,” said Jones, who spent more than $90,000 in all of 2016 when he was elected to his fourth term in November. “I prepare as though I could have a strong opponent, and I have an opponent every single year.”
Jones also led the pack of countywide elected officials with $45,645 raised, mostly thanks to a golf outing held in June.
Jones’ annual golf outing, which he’s held every year since being elected in 2004, generates tens of thousands of dollars. Last year’s outing raised $50,625 before expenses and this year’s outing raised more than $45,000 before expenses.
Butler County Engineer Greg Wilkens
Wilkens, who has never faced a challenger five elections, is second with cash-on-hand to Jones.
Wilkens’ campaign has more than $167,400 in the bank. The campaign reported no new money raised this reporting cycle.
Butler County Clerk of Courts Mary Swain
Butler County Clerk of Courts Mary Swain was the only other countywide officeholder besides Jones to have a fundraising event this reporting cycle.
She raised more than $10,700 from a May event before expenses.
Swain said she only has a fundraiser every couple of years as to not over-saturate the community with political fundraisers.
“I’m at the point where I’m doing (a fundraiser) every couple of years,” said Swain. “When it comes time to run again, I’ll have the funds to be able to run and I won’t be scrambling.”
Her campaign has more than $44,500 on hand.
- Butler County Commissioner Don Dixon: $69,799.05 in the bank; $250 raised this reporting cycle.
- Butler County Auditor Roger Reynolds: $49,546.88 on hand; no new money raised this reporting cycle.
- Butler County Treasurer Nancy Nix: $26,823.07 in the bank; no new money raised this reporting cycle.
- Butler County Commissioner T.C. Rogers: $22,845.71 in the bank; $940 raised this reporting cycle.
- Butler County Coroner Lisa Mannix: $9,563.87 on hand; $8,490 raised this reporting cycle.
- Butler County Commissioner Cindy Carpenter: $4,720.34 on hand; no new money raised this reporting cycle.
- Butler County Recorder Danny Crank: $2,860.42 on hand; $600 raised this reporting cycle.
- Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser: $331.33 in the bank; no new money raised this reporting cycle.