Firefighters extinguish blaze next to home, grocery store

Firefighters worked this morning quickly to contain and extinguish a fire that engulfed a structure next to a home at the corner of Central Avenue and Long Street.

Firefighters were sent at 9:12 a.m. to the 400 block of Long Street and found what dispatchers described as “a pretty big fire” coming from a shed and a dilapidated garage next to the residence with large plumes of smoke showing.

Hamilton Fire and Police departments evacuated the home and neighboring grocery store Carniceria La Morenita “more as a precaution than anything else,” according to Hamilton Fire Department Deputy Chief Jay Wirtz. No injuries were reported, he said.

MORE: Butler County market seeing a lift in home sales, new construction

It is possible the fire broke out when someone attempted to cook something in a deep fryer near the shed, but fire officials have not yet determined the official cause, Wirtz said.

Police shut down Central Avenue to traffic between Hanover Street and Knightbridge Drive for a little less than an hour as firefighters worked to knock down the fire.

There is not yet an estimate of the total amount of damage caused by the blaze, Wirtz said.

About the Author