A Middletown police officer is making a habit of saving lives.
Officer Sheoki Reece and her partner, Austin Mooney, a rookie, are being credited for entering a burning home in the 300 block of Harlan Street at 8 p.m. Sunday and pulling the two residents to safety, potentially saving their lives.
This is the second time Reece, in her 10th year on the force, may have saved a life.
On June 11, 2017, Reece, while off duty, performed CPR on Kash, an 8-year-old boy who was under the water and couldn’t make it to the edge of the swimming pool. She instructed others to call 911 and continued to give CPR until the boy was revived.
There were other kids in the pool, and they thought Kash was playing around. His brother saw that he was limp and got him out of the pool. The boy wasn’t breathing, and was blue in the face.
For her efforts, she was Employee of the Year by the City of Middletown.
On Sunday, Reece, a certified Field Training Officer, was riding with Mooney when they were heard over the scanner about two people possibly being trapped inside a burning house.
Since Reece and Mooney were patrolling nearby, they arrived before Middletown firefighters. They saw heavy smoke was rolling out of the front door, they said.
After entering the smoke-filled house, Reece, 42, found a 69-year-old woman lying on the living room floor and her clothes were on fire. Reece put out the flames and pulled the woman outside to safety.
Mooney, 26, in his fourth month as an officer, found the woman’s husband looking for his cell phone and keys in the back of the house. Mooney told the man he had to leave and he led him outside.
Seconds later, with the two officers, the couple and their dog safely outside, flames engulfed the house, shattering the windows.
Seconds were the difference between the woman suffering moderate injuries or two fatalities, Reece said.
The woman was transported to Atrium Medical Center and she was listed in stable condition, according to a officials. Her husband, who wasn’t injured, was driven to the hospital by police. The cause of the fire is listed as smoking on a couch and it caused $40,000 in damages to the property, including $10,000 to the contents, according to the fire report.