Back In Black (an AC/DC tribute band) will return to Hamilton on Friday, June, 1 to kick off the 2018 RiversEdge Concert Series. Opening bands Suck the Honey and The Baked Potatoes will perform during the first set.
“Last year, Back In Black was by far our most well attended free RiversEdge show,” said Adam Helms, director of resident services for the city of Hamilton.
Scotty Bratcher is another popular performer on the series. He plays just about every year and does well. Bratcher will headline second RiversEdge show on June 7.
“We’re kicking off the year with two of our most popular artists,” Helms said.
Other highlights will include The Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band on June 14; The Band of Heathens on June 28; The New Respects on July 12; Maggie Koerner on July 19; and Larkin Poe on Aug. 9, to name a few.
“This is probably the most talented lineup we’ve had to date. … Once we kick off the series on June 1, there will be music every single week in Hamilton,” Helms said.
Audiences can expect to hear diverse genres of music from rock and blues to country and tribute bands. RiversEdge will feature a mix of regional and national acts with a balance of local talent included in the lineup. Most RiversEdge concerts will be held on Thursdays. There are a few exceptions – the first concert of the year will be held on Friday, June 1. There will also be a concert on Wednesday, July 4. The Whimmydiddle festival is set for Friday, June 22 and Saturday, June 23.
“Based on feedback we received, one of the things we did differently this year was to feature the tribute bands throughout the series instead of only having them at the end of the season in August,” Helms said. “Our audiences wanted them to be more spread out, so we are hosting one tribute band in June, one in July and two in August.”
RiversEdge can accommodate about 3,000 concertgoers. This is the seventh year for the RiversEdge Concert Series. Last year, according to estimates, about 25,000 concertgoers attended the weekly concerts.
“The series has grown largely, because of the support we’ve received from the community and the businesses,” Helms said.
RIVERSEDGE LINE-UP 2017:
- Friday, June 1 – Back In Black (an AC/DC tribute band) with special guests Suck the Honey and The Baked Potatoes
- Thursday, June 7 – Scotty Bratcher with Warsaw Falcons and Dr. J & the Apostles
- Thursday, June 14 – The Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band with Joseph Huber
- Friday and Saturday, June 22 and 23 - Whimmydiddle presented by IBEW Local 648 (starts at 5 p.m.) Whimmydiddle is a free, two-night Country music festival featuring Tyler Childers, 90 Proof Twang, Billy Strings, Kendell Marvel and Jeremy Pinnell
- Thursday, June 28 – The Band of Heathens with The Secret Sisters
- Wednesday, July 4 – Miss Jacque with Soul Pocket
- Thursday, July 12 – The New Respects with The Lique
- Thursday, July 19 – Maggie Koerner with Smooth Hound Smith and The Young Heirlooms
- Thursday, July 26 – Uptown Funk (The Tribute to Bruno Mars) with Krystal Peterson & the Queen City Band and Circle It
- Thursday, Aug. 2 – Welshly Arms with Brian Olive
- Thursday, Aug. 9 – Larkin Poe with The Trongone Band
- Thursday, Aug. 16 – The Motown Sounds of Touch with The Colour of Rhythm
- Thursday, Aug. 23 – Free Fallin (Tribute to Tom Petty) with Frontier Folk Nebraska and Elk Creek
- Saturday, Sept. 15 – Signs of Life (The American Pink Floyd)
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.