That includes entertainment, crafts, horse-drawn carriage rides, a chance to pet a reindeer and tours of 27 private homes, businesses and historical buildings.
MORE: 5 Cincinnati holiday events that are worth the drive
2. Historic homes and buildings to explore
The German Village Christmas Walk will feature tours of private homes, businesses and historical buildings, including the Lane Hooven House, St. Julie Billiart Catholic Parish, Butler County Historical Museum, Lane Public Library, YWCA and the William C. Wilks Carriage House, among others.
There are 27 different stops this year on the walk. Some of the buildings in German Village date back to the 1830s. There is a new residence on the tour — “The Good House” on Third Street.
“It’s a charming area. We thought it would be nice to have a Christmas Walk to showcase German Village, and it was a way to bring visitors into the city, which it has done,” Dennett said.
3. Take care of your holiday shopping, too
Visitors can purchase gifts and handmade items from local artisans and enjoy delicious treats as they walk the streets.
For example, Butler County United Way will offer handcrafted bowls for purchase to support the “Empty Bowls” initiative.
St. Julie Altar Rosary Society will host a bake sale from noon to 4 p.m. at the YWCA. Also at the YWCA, local artisans will be selling handcrafted items from noon to 5 p.m.
4. Fun activities for children
Children’s activities will include reindeer and a petting zoo from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
From noon to 4 p.m. at the Lane Library, children can write a letter to Santa, create a reindeer headdress or make a beaded candy cane.
Santa Claus will be greeting children in the Emma Ritchie Auditorium at the Butler County Historical Society from noon to 5 p.m.
New this year, there will be face painting on the porch at the Wilks Insurance Agency from noon to 3 p.m.
5. Plenty of entertainment options
Highlights will include:
- A choir concert — Scripture and Songs of the Season — at 4 p.m. at St. Julie Billiart Catholic Parish. Tours of the parish will be available from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Horse-drawn carriage rides from noon to 5 p.m.
- Yuletide Brass, a quartet of strolling musicians in Dickens-era attire, will perform from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- The Hamilton High School String Quartet will perform at the Butler County Historical Museum from 2 to 3 p.m.
- The Doll House will have a collection of dolls on display at the Carriage House as well as some dolls that are for sale.
- A video presentation of "Before and After History of German Village" at the Carriage House. The 15-minute video will start on the hour from 1 to 4 p.m.
HOW TO GO
WHAT: 26th annual German Village Christmas Walk
WHEN:Sunday, December 3, noon to 5 p.m.
WHERE: Hamilton's German Village Historic District — Dayton, Village, Second and Third streets. Brochures with a map and a complete schedule of events will be available at the event.
COST: Free, includes all activities and entertainment. Some items are available for purchase.