Spooky Nook Sports founder Sam Beiler said he expects site work of Spooky Nook at Champion Mill to start in late summer. He expects it will take about two years to complete. GREG LYNCH/STAFF
Photo: Staff Writer
Photo: Staff Writer

Spooky Nook founder: No matter what funding occurs ‘we’re not walking away’ from Hamilton

What the mega sports complex at the former Champion Paper mill might look like - especially the hotel, convention space

“The decision in my mind is final,” said Sam Beiler. “All we need is just a little more funding.”

The next month should provide a sense for what funding is confirmed and what gap remains for the multimillion dollar sports-and-events complex, Beiler said this week.

MORE: A huge new project wouldn’t just help Hamilton. The sports center’s impact would reverberate for miles.

Spooky Nook Sports founder Sam Beiler said he expects site work of Spooky Nook at Champion Mill to start in late summer. He expects it will take about two years to complete. GREG LYNCH/STAFF
Photo: Staff Writer

“A part of what we’re dealing with is timing cycles and … we’re not walking away even if things don’t work out in the next two to four weeks,” he said. “But I think in the next two to four weeks we’re going to have a good handle on what’s fully committed.”

Beiler said he expects site work to start in late summer and take about two years to complete. The first construction will likely include digging out what has been buried at the site and crushing it or reusing it in ways that would be more appropriate.

MORE: 5 things to know about Spooky Nook Sports

The complexity of what Spooky Nook is attempting to do in Hamilton, including financing and clean-up on the site, is “significant,” he said.

Greater Hamilton Chamber of Commerce President & CEO Dan Bates spoke with this news outlet about the economic impact of Spooky Nook Sports following chamber officials’ visit there.

Because it is pursuing a historic listing, it could qualify for tax credits that are “very important to the project” but also will include numerous rules to follow, Beiler said.

MORE: A sports complex coming to Hamilton had a massive impact in another state. Here’s what happened.

Spooky Nook project has made “really strong progress” in terms of funding through the capital stack, which features as many as 16 sources to fund the project, 94 percent of which are in the form of loans and the remaining 6 percent would come from credits from the state or federal government.

Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X