As the mercury in the thermometer rises, it’s not just an indication of springtime fun. It also means the start of local farmers markets.
Farmers markets are an “extremely important” event for communities, said Alfred Hall, who is a vendor at this year’s Hamilton’s Historic Farmers Market at the Historic Butler County Courthouse.
The markets not only help build a locally produced food system, but also benefit the local economy, he said.
“Before the revitalization of the downtown (in Hamilton), the farmers market was the only constant downtown,” Hall said. “It’s extremely important for local artisans, crafts people and local producers to give them a distribution channel for the products they create and produce they grow.”
The city of Fairfield kicked off its inaugural Village Green Farmers Market on Wednesday, debuting a couple dozen local producers.
And people appear to be excited for the market season to start.
“If you look, I think you can see,” said Debra Liston, taking in the few dozen people traversing from booth to booth around Fairfield’s market, which sits in the parking lot between Fairfield Lane Library and Village Green Park.
Liston owns Fairfield-based Mwimbula Coffee Roasters and said farmers markets are “really a city gathering spot and people are really interested in local stuff.”
That excitement was further seen at a booth for Katie’s Classic Cookies. The business sold out of product in less than 90 minutes.
“We have never sold so many so quickly, we have never sold at the pace that we sold today,” said Lynne Toensmeyer, who owns the business with her daughter, Katie Toensmeyer. “We have not stopped.”
And when the calendar turns to May, more farmers markets will populate the county, including in Hamilton, Liberty Twp., West Chester Twp. and Oxford.
Here are farmers markets in Butler County:
- When: 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays, through Oct. 19
- Where: Village Green Park, 301 Wessel Drive
- More info: www.fairfield-city.org or www.facebook.com/FairfieldVillageGreenFarmersMarket
- When: 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, June to August
- Where: Bridgewater Falls, 3385 Princeton Road
- More info: www.shopbridgewaterfalls.com
- When: 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays, May 21 to Oct. 22
- Where: 101 High St.
- More info: hhfarmersmarket.wix.com/hhfm15 or www.facebook.com/hamiltonshistoricfarmersmarket
- When: 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, May 25 to Oct. 19
- Where: Hanover Winery, 2121 Morman Road
- More info: www.hanoverwinery.com/farmers-market
- When: 3 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays, June 7 to Aug. 30
- Where: Liberty Center, 7100 Foundry Road
- More info: www.liberty-center.com
WEST CHESTER TWP.
- When: 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 7; 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays, May 21 to mid-October
- Where: The Square @ Union Centre
- More info: www.westchesterohiofarmersmarket.org
- When: 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays, May to September
- Where: East Park Place, Uptown
- More info: www.oxfordfarmersmarket.com