State Rep. Wes Retherford racked up traffic tickets across the state and got into seven car accidents, beginning shortly after he got his driver’s license in 2000, according to Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles records.
Retherford, R-Hamilton, is now facing drunken driving and weapons charges in Butler County. He was arrested early Sunday morning, allegedly passed out drunk in a McDonald’s drive-thru with a loaded firearm in his truck. Police said he was so impaired that he could barely stand up.
Related: 911 call describes scene leading to arrest of Retherford
Retherford’s driving record, obtained by this newspaper using Ohio’s public records laws, shows eight speeding tickets, two seat belt violations, two citations for equipment misuse and one for failure to control since April 2000.
None of the citations involved drinking and driving.
Here is a rundown on his record:
- July 9, 2014: 86 miles per hour in a 65 mph zone in Fairborn.
- March 11, 2014: 97 mph in a 70 mph zone in Franklin County.
- Jan. 3, 2013: 74 mph in a 65 mph zone in Clinton County.
- Nov. 3, 2011: Accident in Hamilton County.
- May 16, 2011: Speeding in Florida.
- Feb. 19, 2009: Failure to wear a seatbelt in Washington Courthouse.
- July 31, 2008: Accident in Butler County.
- March 16, 2007: Accident in Butler County.
- March 5, 2007: Accident in Butler County.
- Dec. 5, 2005: 80 mph in a 65 mph zone in Butler County.
- Oct. 16, 2005: 52 mph in a 40 mph zone in Hamilton.
- Oct. 18, 2005: 75 mph in a 55 mph zone in Hamilton.
- Aug. 9, 2004: Accident in Butler County.
- July 5, 2003: Failure to wear a seatbelt in Hueston Woods State Park.
- Jan. 19, 2002: Equipment misuse conviction in Butler County Juvenile Court.
- Feb. 26, 2002: Speeding conviction in Butler County Juvenile Court.
- Sept. 28, 2001: Equipment misuse conviction in Butler County Juvenile Court.
- Sept. 6, 2001: Accident in Butler County.
- April 26, 2000: Accident; failure to control conviction in Butler County Juvenile Court.
About the Author