Respite care services: Respite care services provide temporary breaks for caregivers by enabling the sick, elderly or injured to stay in care facilities for anywhere from a couple of hours to a few days. Some respite care services will provide short-term, in-home care as well.
Professional therapist: Many therapists are trained to counsel individuals who have particular issues. Some may specialize in grief or even caregiver needs. Utilize their services if speaking with a confidante is not enough.
Here’s a look at some of the numbers regarding family caregivers, courtesy of the National Alliance for Caregiving, AARP, Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, Respect Care Givers, and the career experts at Zippia.
Family caregivers by the numbers
- 53 million: Number of Americans who are providing unpaid care to a family member or a friend.
- 9.5 million: Amount by which caregiver numbers increased between 2015 and 2020.
- 1 in 5: Number of Americans who are caregivers.
- 22: Percentage of caregivers who are middle-aged.
- 46: Average age of an employed caregiver.
- 70: Percentage of working caregivers who suffer work-related difficulties due to their dual roles.
- 34.7: Number of hours employed caregivers work each week, not including caregiver services.
- 70.7: Percentage of family caregivers who are women (29.3 percent are men).
- 88: Percentage of caregivers residing in urban or suburban areas.
- 69: Percentage of caregivers caring for parents or parents-in-law. Fifty-one percent care for a spouse or partner.
he National Alliance for Caregiving, AARP, Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, Respect Care Givers, and the career experts at Zippia.