“We are trying to bring a variety of content to the theater, content that we think fits the building, because of its stature, it’s age and its size. So as far as these first shows, we know big band sounds fantastic, and it looks great, hence the Gillespie show and the Ellington show,” Miller said.
Other shows like Blue Birds Big Band and G. Miles & the Hitmen will introduce classic rhythm and rhythm and blues, and we think it will do well,” he said.
“We can’t do everything at once, but we do look forward to bringing in bluegrass and classical music down the road. We have some on the books already, so we are trying to bring in a variety of content,” Miller said.
Upcoming concerts at Sorg Opera House:
• The Dizzy Gillespie Centennial, Saturday, April 7 at 8 p.m. The Cincinnati Contemporary Jazz Orchestra will celebrate the songs of Dizzy Gillespie with an evening of jazz and big band sounds. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door.
• Blue Birds Big Band and G. Miles & the Hitmen will come together on stage on Saturday, April 21 at 8 p.m. for "Tradin' Tunes!," a horn-driven evening of R&B and funk. All-ages show. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door.
• Duke Ellington birthday celebration/benefit on Saturday, April 28 at 7:30 p.m. Cincinnati's famed Blue Wisp Big Band will perform a collection of Duke Ellington tunes for this memorable concert. All-ages show. Ticket-holders receive a pair of beverage tickets at the door. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 day of the show.
• Concertgoers won't want to miss this special evening as John Kay celebrates 50 years with Steppenwolf on Saturday, May 5 at 8:30 p.m. $30 reserved seats are on sale now.
• The Dayton Jazz Orchestra will perform on the Sorg stage at 7 p.m. Saturday, May 19, following Downtown Middletown Inc's. Women, Wine and Chocolate Walk. Tickets will go on sale this week at www.cincyticket.com
• Mark your calendars for Saturday, June 16 at 8 p.m. as The Monday Night Big Band celebrates the music of Count Basei and Les Brown at the Sorg Opera House. Tickets will go on sale soon.