Know the right size
Like with shoes, buying the proper tire size is critical. Consult the information placard found on the driver’s side doorjamb, glove box, fuel door or vehicle manufacturer’s manual, which also contains technical specifications relating to your tire, including load carrying capacity, speed rating and recommended inflation pressures. For maximum safety and performance, follow these recommendations carefully.
If you don’t have this information handy, consult a tire professional to have all your questions answered, and check out the three-step tire guide from Cooper Tires, which can help you narrow down the choices by car/minivan, SUV/CUV or truck. You can find this guide at us.coopertire.com.
There are many factors to consider when selecting tires to fit your needs, including the following:
• Do you need dedicated winter tires, dedicated summer tires or all-season tires? Think about where you travel over the course of the year.
• Do you have a long commute or take long road trips? Consider expected mileage, ride comfort, fuel efficiency and if the tires are quiet.
• Do you have a sports car or do a lot of spirited driving? You may need tires that focus on handling and are developed for high-performance cars.
• Do you drive in rain? Consider the tires' wet braking distance.
• Do you drive off-road? If you spend a significant amount of time on mud tackling adventures, dedicated off-road tires may be your best bet.
At the store
Be sure to ask what services are included in the quoted price. And remember, if your selected tires are not immediately available, you can often have them ordered. It may be helpful to call ahead if you know what you need. To find a retailer near you, visit us.coopertire.com/find-a-store.
Not all tire damage that can lead to tire failure is outwardly visible. Used tires, should be considered dangerous. Buy and install only new tires. Whenever possible, replace all tires at the same time. However, if you can only purchase two, the new pair should always be installed on the rear axle.