The Sanctuary Covenant Christian Fellowship church has been helping the Hamilton community for several years, and now is hoping people from the community may help it restore a historic church building it owns.
Here are seven things to know about the historic, 100-year-old Hamilton church at 117 Park Ave. — at Park and B streets:
1. When the existing building opened, it first was occupied by the Bethel Church Christian and Missionary Alliance, which was founded in 1910 by Dr. H.A. Dickman.
2. The great flood of 1913 was disastrous to the original building that stood on the spot. Congregants were able to remodel it, but they experienced such growth that a larger facility was needed.
3. The congregation held a special meeting April 28, 1918 to make plans for the new church building (which now is one of Hamilton’s oldest).
4. Work began in the spring of 1919, with the impressive, ornate new sanctuary dedicated April, 25, 1920. The building’s total cost? $13,907.
5. On Nov. 30 1932, Fort Hamilton Hospital had its first graduating ceremony of the School of Nursing at Bethel Church. Four nurses graduated.
6. Sanctuary Covenant Christian church bought the 100-year-old building, plus the 1974 building next to it at the same address. The congregation spent about $110,000 on the newer building and uses as its sanctuary.
7. It will cost an estimated $280,000 to restore the 100-year-old church, which Sanctuary Covenant Christian hopes to eventually use as its sanctuary, with the 1970s building becoming a community center. The church is raising money for that work, and can be contacted at 513-887-7223 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.