George Floyd protests erupt in Columbus: What we know now

Nationwide protests about the Minneapolis death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man handcuffed and in police custody, reached into Ohio’s capital and the Statehouse on Thursday night and early Friday morning.

Here’s what we know now.

How it started: Hundreds of protesters marched in downtown Columbus on Thursday evening. The Columbus Dispatch estimated a crowd of about 400 people.

PHOTOS: Protesters gather in downtown Columbus Thursday night

When it turned violent: About 9 p.m., some of the protesters began to throw bottles, prompting multiple calls from police warning the crowd to leave the area. Police then used pepper spray on the crowd.

WBNS-TV said protesters then threw eggs, smoke bombs and fireworks as officers sought to maintain control of the crowd.

PHOTOS & VIDEO: Columbus protests of George Floyd’s death

What happened next: Protesters pushed back by police began to break glass at bus stop shelters and shattered windows of businesses. Some attacked windows and doors at the Ohio Statehouse, and some of them went inside the Statehouse.

PHOTOS: Daylight reveals damage in Columbus after protests

How it ended: The vandalism to the Statehouse prompted SWAT teams to respond, and loudspeaker announcements told protesters an emergency had been declared in the area. Protesters were told anyone who refused to leave would be arrested. Most of them cleared from the scene by about 1 a.m. Friday, and by 2 a.m. the incident had essentially ended.

Damage from protest: Laura Battocletti, executive director of Statehouse Security, said 28 windows in the statehouse were damaged. Two lamp posts outside the Statehouse were broken. A bench with concrete anchors was lifted out of the ground. Blood could be seen on the Statehouse steps.

Inside Statehouse: Battocletti said two people made it inside the Statehouse but were quickly removed by Ohio State troopers.

INITIAL REPORT: George Floyd protesters storm Ohio Statehouse in Columbus

What is happening today: Businesses on High Street and State Street were among those damaged, and many of them were cleaning up Friday morning. Statehouse workers were placing boards over first floor windows to protect them future protests.

We have a reporter at the scene this morning and will continue to provide updates on the story.

About the Authors