The new telephone area code for Southwestern Ohio has been determined.
>> 937 filling up: New phone area code coming to our area
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio today approved a plan to implement the new 326 area code, which will take effect on March 8, 2020, according to a release.
The new number will only affect new phone subscribers, and those trying to contact them. Current telephone numbers with the 937 area code will not change.
The 326 area code will overlay the existing 937 area code, which is expected to run out of available phone numbers in 2020, the PUCO said.
On implementation of the new code, beginning February 2020, all local calls will require dialing the full 10- or 11-digit phone number in order to complete local calls.
To prepare for the change, beginning August 10, 2019, customers are encouraged to begin 10- or 11-digit dialing for all local calls so that it is second nature when it becomes necessary come February.
The PUCO has listed a few more important facts about the area code overlay:
- Calls currently considered local calls will remain local calls. Calls between 937 and 326 are local calls.
- Long-distance calling will not change.
- 911 and other three-digit numbers (211, 311, 411, 811, etc.), if available in the local community, will not change.
- Customers should begin or continue to identify their phone number with the area code
- Customers are encouraged to update any saved contacts, speed dials, business cards, personal checks, preprogrammed alarm devices, etc. to include the area code + telephone number format.
The North American Numbering Plan Administrator identified a plan with the PUCO to implement the new area code with the existing geographical boundaries of the 937 area code.
A copy of the Commission finding and order is available on the PUCO's website at www.PUCO.ohio.gov. Click on the link to Docketing Information System and enter the case number 17-2329-TP-COI.
About the Author