A man was hospitalized with burns after igniting a brush fire in Germantown Friday morning.
LOCAL WEATHER: Heat index expected over 100 degrees this weekend
Fire crews were dispatched to a home in the 8000 block of Lower Miamisburg Road around 10:30 a.m. on reports of an explosion with one person burned.
TRENDING: Task force executes drug-related search at Franklin apartment
The man suffered “significant” burns to his arms and was transported to Miami Valley Hospital, Germantown Fire Chief Dan Alldred said. His condition wasn’t released but Alldred said he was alert and orientated while being transported to the hospital.
Alldred said the man was caught in a small explosion when the pile was lit, leading to the burns.
Alldred said others should be warned about the dangers of using flammable liquids to start brush fires due to the risk of explosions.
“There is always a potential for vapors to build up, and a potential for an explosion, which is what appears to have happened here,” Alldred said.