Editor’s Note: This story first published on Feb. 12, 2018.
Butler County has a rich history and many landmarks that still stand to this day, some prominently and others quietly tucked away.
That was highlighted recently when we featured a story about the upcoming opening of the Soldiers Sailors and Pioneers monument in downtown Hamilton (and why it will be an even better community asset).
Here are five historic places to visit in Butler County and a little history of each courtesy of the Butler County Historical Society:
RELATED: Historic Courthouse sporting new steps after fits and starts
1. The Historic Courthouse. The courthouse is located on High Street in downtown Hamilton. The four-story building with imported granite columns and marble floors was completed in 1889, the third courthouse on the site since the county was formed in 1803. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, it was built with classical detailing in the Second Empire Revival style and is still in use. The count recently replaced the High Street side steps and has made other improvements.
2. The Black Covered Bridge. The bridge is located at 5401 Corso Road in Oxford Twp. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, this bridge spans Four Mile Creek and is the only covered bridge in the county still in its original location. It was built in 1869 and sometimes was called "Push's Mill Bridge" because it led to the nearby mill. The bridge was bypassed in the 1950s and restored in the 1990s.
3. Monument Cabin. The cabin is located near the Soldiers Sailors and Pioneers Monument at 15 S. Monument Ave. in Hamilton. Built in 1804, this log cabin was discovered and moved from Park Avenue on the west side of the Great Miami River to Monument Park in 1964. Now located on the site of old Fort Hamilton it is furnished to reflect pioneer life.
MORE: 5 things to know about ‘Billy Yank,’ the historic monument that stands over Hamilton
4. Governor Bebb Pioneer Village. The village is located at 1979 Bebb Park Lane in Morgan Twp. Built in 1799, the Bebb Cabin was the birthplace and boyhood home of Ohio's 19th governor William Bebb. It was moved home its original location on Dry Fork Creek four miles away and added to other log structures reconstructed in the park to represent a pioneer village. They include a blacksmith shop, tavern, schoolhouse and covered bridge.
5. Patterson Place Museum. The museum is located on the Miami University campus at 325 S. Patterson Ave. in Oxford. This 1898 house built by James Patterson as a summer home later served as the residence of Western College for Women presidents from 1914 to 1974. Listed in a National Register Historic District, it is now a museum with paintings, furniture and other artifacts of the independent women's college that closed in 1974.