A 12-year-old boy accused of triggering a lockdown at a Springboro school dance with a 911 call about a gun was released from detention on Monday, in time to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with his family.
The Clearcreek Twp. boy had been in the Warren County Juvenile Detention Center since Nov. 15, the night of the junior high dance, which was disrupted by a series of 911 calls. The first two calls were hang-ups, and the third falsely claimed “someone had a gun” at the school.
Judge Joe Kirby released the boy to his parents, pending a Dec. 11 pretrial hearing.
“I want someone to be with him at all times,” Kirby said during the detention hearing in the court in Lebanon.
A week ago, Kirby ordered the boy remain in detention, pending a risk assessment.
School officials said they had yet to determine disciplinary action. The judge ordered the boy to stay away from school while awaiting a determination from the school.
Kirby ordered the parents to drop off the boy at the juvenile court center for classroom activities and participation in “treatment groups,” until the school had determined whether he would be allowed to return to class in Springboro.
He is to remain on house arrest under the supervision of his maternal grandparents while the parents are at work.
He is charged in Warren County Juvenile Court with inducing panic on school grounds, making false alarms and misuse of the 911 system.
The owner of the phone, located at the dance, said she lost the phone shortly after arriving, according to charging documents filed in the court in Lebanon.
School officials were able to find the boy, who had been the last person with the phone at the time the 911 call was made and admitted to making the 911 calls, according to the complaint filed by Springboro Police Officer Officer Scott Coffey.
Officers responded to the school about 8:10 p.m. after receiving several 9-1-1 hang-up calls.
The students were locked down in classrooms while police looked for the gun.
It was the latest case of a false threat involving a gun in the Springboro schools.
A special prosecutor, Assistant Clermont County Prosecutor Alex Jones, was appointed for the case. Jones did not push for continued detention at Monday’s hearing.
The boy is represented by lawyer Martin Hubbell, who urged Kirby to release the boy to his parents.
Thank you for reading the Journal-News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Journal-News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.