MORE: State reports first West Nile case in 2017 in Southwest Ohio man
The health district offered the following tips:
*Make sure that doors and windows have tight-fitting screens.
MORE: West Nile found in Montgomery County in 2015
*Repair or replace all torn screens in your home.
*Remove all discarded tires from your property.
*Dispose of tin cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots, or similar water-holding containers.
*Make sure roof gutters drain properly. Clean clogged gutters in the spring and fall.
* Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, outdoor saunas and hot tubs. Keep empty and covered when not in use.
* Drain water from pool covers.
* Change the water in bird baths at least once a week.
* Turn over plastic wading pools, and wheelbarrows, etc. when not in use.
* Clean ditches of obstructions so they drain properly.
* Eliminate any standing water that collects on your property.
* Check trees for cavities that hold water and fill them with soil, gravel, or sand.
* Remind or help neighbors to eliminate breeding sites on their properties.
* Use insect repellent containing DEET at a concentration of at least 30% and follow the label directions.
For more information please visit our website at www.wcchd.com or our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/WCCHD.Ohio.