Boiling water sleepover prank leaves another teen with severe burns

The so-called "Hot Water Challenge" sent another teenager to the hospital after a friend tossed boiling water on him during a sleepover.

Explore>> Read more trending news

Nickolas Conrad, 15, of Arkansas, suffered first and second degree burns on his neck after friends heated the water in the microwave and poured it on him at 3 a.m., according to KARK-TV.

"Burning, screaming, flesh rolled off" is how Mickey Conrad described her son's injuries to KARK.

“Thank God it wasn't his face ... his eyes.”

While Conrad will recover from his injuries, the “hot water challenge” appears to have played a role in the death of an 8-year-old Florida girl.

Explore>> Related: Girl, 11, burned in sleepover boiling water prank: ‘I can’t be angry’

Ki’ari Pope drank boiling water through a straw on a dare after viewing a YouTube video of a similar prank with her cousin. The girl later died from her injuries.

Two other children, ages 10 and 11, have also been hospitalized after trying to emulate the pranks seen in YouTube videos, according to New York Magazine.

"It's a real thing. It is not a joke or prank," Conrad told KARK. "It's cruel and it's criminal."

Explore>> Related: Dare that led to girl’s death started on YouTube, family says
Caption
Water, Evaporation, Steam rising from water boiling in a glass jar on a gas ring. (Photo by: Eye Ubiquitous/UIG via Getty Images)

Credit: Eye Ubiquitous

Water, Evaporation, Steam rising from water boiling in a glass jar on a gas ring. (Photo by: Eye Ubiquitous/UIG via Getty Images)
Caption
Water, Evaporation, Steam rising from water boiling in a glass jar on a gas ring. (Photo by: Eye Ubiquitous/UIG via Getty Images)

Credit: Eye Ubiquitous

Credit: Eye Ubiquitous

Explore>> Girl burned with boiling water during sleepover happy to be home

>> Dare that led to girl’s death started with YouTube, family member said

About the Author