"Today was a devastating start to the new year," the father of four wrote in a Jan. 7 Facebook post. "We lost our home of 22 years due to a Christmas tree fire in our living room, but I thank God we [were] at church."
>> See the post here
Today was a devistating start to the new year we lost our home of 22 years due to a Christmas tree fire in our living...Posted by Scot Byrd on Sunday, January 6, 2019
Among the ashes, a firefighter spotted the Bible and was moved to tears, Byrd told WALA.
"He said, 'You're not going to believe this. You've gotta come see it for yourself,'" Byrd told the news station. "This Bible did not have one scorch mark on it."
>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news
Members of the community have since rallied behind Byrd, whose 7-year-old daughter, Shelby, is in remission following a battle with leukemia. Thanks to their donations, the family, who are staying in Gulf Shores, have clothes, beds and the supplies the children need for school.
"We don't give up," said Byrd, who wants to rebuild his home, WALA reported.
>> Click here if you'd like to donate to the Byrds
im sorry we had a problem with the go fund me page this morning but it is now corrected and this is the active go fund me thank you n God blessPosted by Scot Byrd on Sunday, February 10, 2019
Read more here or here.